May 24, 2014

ODE TO INDIE PATTERN MONTH......


...YES, I'M AN INDIE PATTERN LOVER - it's their little details, the design lines, that little something different about them - that attracts me to them.
This time last summer it was Megan Neilson's Breakwater Collection that had my head spinning!  I had to talk myself out of  buying ALL of those patterns; and mind you, talking myself out of something is not an easy task.  I did succumbed to the Briar top pattern, and made it up three times.  Wore one of them today, and remembered why I fell in love with it in the first place.


I loved the Euculpt top/dress pattern, the Tanya culottes, and the Virginia leggings but budgeting sense won out, and they never made it into my stash.

During the winter months I fell head over heels in love with Pauline Alice's Ninot Jacket pattern.   pdf pattern, oh boy, but nevertheless all that taping and tracing turned out to be time well spent.  Bar none, this jacket holds first place as my most favorite jacket of all times.  I'm sure there will be a Ninot #2 to follow.


This year there has been a mad toss up between Colette's Moneta and Kitschy Koo's Lady Skater dress patterns.  These three patterns are so very similar.    The Dixie DIY Ballet dress ran a close third in this race, but the Lady Skater won by a nose.  I keep having visions of  Candice's version and I think it helped seal the decision.  Just got to make a fabric decision for the summer; and I know there will be a black one coming up for next winter - I can already see myself wearing it.  Dixie your Concert Tee is still calling my name - though I'm trying hard to resist.













And what about Mable?  Oh Mable!  This Colette skirt pattern ran unchallenged.  After all, I am a real knit skirt kinda girl.
Of course mine won't be quite this short - ha ha
Of course Papercut Pattern's Ensis top pattern grabbed my attention and will not let go (how CRUEL of her).  I'm not even going to argue with myself about it - I'm crying uncle because it's beautiful.  But, although I am very appreciative of the inspiration provided by this top, I think I'm gonna frankenpattern the style using the Briar pattern as my guide - because it fits so wonderfully.  Please don't hate Papercut people; I'm absolutely sure there's some other pattern in your collection that will soon wrestle me to the ground.


And then there's that Closet Case Files' Nettie bodysuit/dress pattern, I know you've seen it.  Spanx requirement and all, that dress is gonna be mine.  And who doesn't LOVE those back neckline variations.

Pray tell, are there any indie patterns crowding your pattern stashing mind???, if so which ones??? 

10 comments:

  1. The lady skater seems to work very well! I had some issues with taping around page 12, so look out for that.

    I want the Nettie and it will buy it with my June craft budget!!! :)

    I'm not a huge Indie girl; not because I don't like them but because so many have an aesthetic that isn't mine. I am happy when I can support them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw your daughters skater dress - gorgeous! Hope you love the Nettie!

      Delete
  2. The way you feel about Megan's collection is the way I feel about StyleArc. I want almost every single one of their patterns!!!

    I have heard of the Nettie and the Lady Skater but the others were new to me. I have heard of Colette but had not seen that skirt pattern, it is intriguing for sure.

    For the patterns that are PDF only, it would have to be SUPER special for me to take the time to tape all those pages together. My hat is off to you for doing so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Kyle, a pdf does have to be super special before I take the time for all that taping.

      Delete
  3. Oh Faye, this is great - I've never seen the Dixie ballet dress before, but just popped over and ordered it! So up my alley! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ballet is a great dress, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Well, you know I"m insane for the Nettie - and I LOVE the Lady Skater (I'm wearing it right now and it looks chic but it feels like pajamas.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use a print or solid for the skater dress?, and I bet you'll look great in the Nettie.

      Delete
  5. BHL forever, for me! i have a feeling you'd looooove the victoria blazer, currently i'm obsessed with making them sans lapels.

    this post was hilarious, by the way. cruel tempting patterns and spanx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Lady Skater pattern, and made one version of it before my dearly beloved went in for his triple bypass (my sewing ambitions went out the window that day....I'm hoping warm weather and a recovering hubby bring them back). What I did not like about it is that the waist seam is curved, and so looks a little funny in a solid color. I'm thinking of trying it again in another fabric, maybe making the waist seam straight, maybe even making it out of 2 fabrics so it looks like a skirt and top....

    Yes, patterns are tempting, especially when I see all the pretty things others make...if only the mojo will return...

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...