November 8, 2018

#BLC 2018 - Day 9: Rainy Days and The Sewing Gourmet...

...it has rained CATS and DOGS here for two days in a row.  There is always something about rainy weather that makes me crave a good bowl of soup - a trait left over from my childhood when my Grand Father would make pots of delicious soups or stews for us on rainy or cold days.  The soup of my choice is usually vegetable beef.  I did make a pot of  that when Matthew flew through here as a Category One  Hurricane exactly a month ago.  It's hard to make just a little soup (that is really never really my intention) so I had enough left over to freeze three nice sized containers for lazy days ahead.

Today I wanted a nice pot of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup so that is just what I made.  So it was soup for tonight, and it'll be soup for lunch tomorrow with the balance going into freezer containers.


I know it's much easier to open up a can, but making it from scratch is just one of the ways that I pamper myself.  Here's the recipe that I used with the help of good old Google:


EASY HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Courtesy of  Delish.com

Ingredients
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. diced onion
2 carrots, diced
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 celery stalks, diced
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. Thyme
32 oz. low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1 c. egg noodles
1/4 c. chopped parsley
Note:  For my own twist I added 1/4 tsp. Rosemary, and 1 Bay Leaf.
 
Directions
  1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, celery, and carrots and cook until softened, 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
  2. Move vegetables to one side of the pot and add chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until no pink remains, 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.  
Note: I added all of the stock and the 1/2 cup of water then reduced heat cooked about 20 minutes before bringing to a boil to add the noodles as instructed below.
Add noodles and cook according to package instructions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley and serve immediately.


Should you make it, I do so hope that you thoroughly ENJOY!!!

10 comments:

  1. Your soup looks so good! It is very definitely soup weather. I'm watching snow fall this morning! (I am so not ready for winter!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother says that they had a little snow mixed with rain today as well. I was just talking with her a few minutes ago. She was admiring my soup!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recipe Linda. I want some of yours lol! Looks delicious and certainly weather appropriate!
    Cecil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I were talking on the phone that night I put this together Cecil. It turned out WONDERFUL!

      Delete
  3. I agree your soup looks heavenly! Especially for rainy or cold days! And it’s the kind of soup that makes you feel much better when you’re sick!! You make yours exactly how I use to make mine before I became plant based...all the way down to the “egg noodles”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful Myra and I am so glad I have enough left over for the freezer too.

      Delete
  4. Hi Faye! That bowl of soup looks wonderful! There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup (and a sandwich) on a cold and rainy day! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Summer! I hop your pot of soup tastes even better than mine!

      Delete
  5. OMG! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm placing it in my recipe notebook. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAHHHHH!,hope yours is even better than mine Regina!!!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...