November 24, 2017

#BLOGLIKECRAZY 24: WHY SHE SEWS & BLOGS ABOUT IT (part 5)...

...getting acquainted with "New to Me" bloggers is something that I really like to do.  It keeps my mind open, introduces me to new genres of sewing; and in other words keeps me from growing stale.  I met Elizabeth virtually at the time that she first introduced her "Day and Night Dress Challenge//Tour" last December.  From that time on she has been on my radar. Any blogger who can successfully orchestrate and host 18 other bloggers in a challenge definitely gets my vote!  The Challenge and Tour culminated on January 14th of this year, but I haven't stopped admiring her work.

You see, Elizabeth has a propensity for intense sewing projects; like her recent venture into cos-play where she made costumes for ALL of her family members (I'm sure you'll want to read all about that!).  That particular project involved such elements as: hand dying faux stretch leather, and fully tailoring a man's suit!  I'm sure you'll agree - there is never a dull moment over at ELIZABETH MADE THIS.  But now, lets see WHY SHE SEWS & BLOGS ABOUT IT...





Why do you sew?
I love fabric!  I always have loved fabric.  There was a wonderful fabric store in my home town in this ca 1900 building with old wood floors and bolts of fabric displayed.  I loved when my Mom would take me there as a child to see all the beautiful colors and textures.  At one point in my education, I had the choice between following music and following art.  I chose the former, but I've always been a little artsy, and I think I'm pursuing art again in a way through fabric.  
Watching a flat piece of fabric transform itself into an actual garment is endlessly fascinating to me.  I know a lot of people sew because they like to have handmade garments that express who they are.  For me, it's more about the act of making something with my own two hands and seeing ideas in your head take shape.  There's an honesty in it that's a wonderful break from the rigors of running a household and taking care of my kids!
Why do you blog about sewing?
Though I've hand sewn since I was little, I've only been sewing by machine for 10 years, and sewing garments for 9.  I started blogging in Dec 2007 really to catalog my progress and my learning.  For a long time it was all about my projects and what I learned each step along the way.  I've always been a writer, so I treated my blog as a diary.  I still catalog my learning and my creative process, but I'm looking more and more to give back to the sewing community that's helped me learn through my blog.  I said no to video for a long, long time, but I see now how visual of a craft sewing is, and if I can put together a tutorial that helps someone be able to understand how to do something, I'm happy to help.  The teacher in me keeps reminding me that I really, really love to teach! :)
 Elizabeth
....




13 comments:

  1. Great interview, Elizabeth! Loved following your Cosplay project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your blog and your youtube channel, Elizabeth! Loved your interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you already know Elizabeth Kay!, and thanks for reading here!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia! Hope you had a marvelous Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. Hey, I know this lady! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Thank you so much for participating Elizabeth!

      Delete
  5. Fascinating interview! I will check her blog out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Vanessa, I know that you will enjoy her blog!

      Delete
  6. I have been following her blog. I agree- she is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are following her Tomasa!

      Delete
  7. Another great post...Elizabeth is truly a creative soul and I don’t know where it all comes from (so much to her!). Truly inspiring and I am like her in at least one respect...watching a piece of flat fabric transform into a garment is extremely fascinating to me too!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...