November 16, 2017

#BLOGLIKECRAZY 16: WHY I SEW & WHY I BLOG ABOUT IT (part 1)...

...
WHY DO I SEW?
as you know the name of my blog is Faye's Sewing Adventure, but have you noticed that I also have a sub-title:  "A Co-Creator with Him".  I have a deep seeded need to create something - something with my own hands.  Basically I believe that God, the Creator,  created EVERYTHING, and that He created me in His own image. What that statement means to me is that since I am created in His image - I MUST CREATE!

For years I owned and worked in my own beauty salon, and I created many beautiful hairstyles for my customers.  I was happy in that capacity because I was working with my hands day in and day out - creating..  But after I decided that it was time for me to move on to another occupation I felt strange and lost.  It was at that time that I started searching for something else to create, with my hands.  If you will read my profile you will find out exactly how that search lead me back to sewing.

I love to sew!  It is my creative expression of self.  It helps me DE-STRESS, and it allowss me to continue learning new things.  I love to learn; whether it's a new technique, new fitting method or something about a new fabric. Just call me "Ever Learning Linda"!

Additionally, I must give credit to my Great-Grand Mother (Jessie), and my Aunt (Willie Mae) who both sewed. I looked on and watch and watched them create until one day they FINALLY  HAD to let me sit at the sewing machine!

WHY DO I BLOG ABOUT IT?
There are three reasons why I blog about my sewing adventures:
FIRST: My blog is a journal of sorts that helps me keep track of my projects and progress.  I have really grown since I started sewing again back in 2006.   I've been blogging for 10 years now, and I still need to look back for information about specific patterns or techniques.  I just love the search feature on my blog; it assists me in finding what I need.

SECONDLY:  Blogging has CONNECTED me to the WORLD WIDE sewing community.  I have met (virtually) hundreds of people who sew; some of whom I have really grown to know quite well.  It has put me in touch with people who not only sew, but love to share information about their craft..  This community has actually fostered my growth by coming to my aid when I find myself in sewing dilemmas; and have encouraged me to work at mastering my craft.  The are the largest group of cheerleaders I've ever seen.

THIRDLY:  Blogging also allows me to flex my writing muscle..  I might not be the best writer, but I am able to write about what I love, and I do so want to become better at it.

So with that readers, can you tell me why you sew and/or blog about it???

 

23 comments:

  1. I️ still love to read blogs & yours is a treat to read & learn from !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen, you brought a smile to my face!!!

      Delete
  2. I’ve been reading your blog for years but totally missed your subtitle. Thanks for pointing that out, Faye. It’s always inspiring to read your blog posts and about your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kay. It's such a great way to learn together. Thank you so much for reading here too!

      Delete
  3. Love this, Faye! Thanks for sharing! I love to create and sewing provides that outlet gor me. Blogging has helped to bring me back to another love of mine...writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine not being able to create Carrie, and writing about it is a bonus.

      Delete
  4. I am sad to say that I've been sewing less since our house fire, but I do try to get back to it when time permits. I've also had less time to blog since the fire (and 2 weddings and 3 grandchildren). I do love to read your blog and enjoy your pictures, and know that one of these days I'm going to get right back to it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjie I think you already know I love my connection to you through your blog. Shoot I actually feel like part of your family! I know the fire was devastating, but I am so proud of how you bounced back. 2 weddings, 3 grands, you are truly amazing!

      Delete
  5. I love sewing and creating wearable fashions. Since I was a teen I always had trouble find things to fit. Back then the small size was a 10 and I was nowhere near that , so I was challenged and had to take up almost everything I owned. My mother, who was a domestic, was always given clothing from those whom she worked for, and there was second hand clothing from relatives and goodwill. We didn’t have a sewing machine so everything was done by hand. I started sewing with a machine in the 7th grade home ec class. I failed that class because I could never get those darn gathers pulled. I kept at it and by high school I could sew by patterns. I made my graduation dress and the dress of my best friend. If I ever blog I will tell more of this story. Now I sew for me and others but it is not a business yet. I am a retired nurse who has spent many years in both clinical and managerial roles. So I have always been working, busy. Manual dexterity is one of my strengths so sewing and manipulating fabric is most enjoyable.
    This old lady is busy redefining her fashion and style. This is my passion. I love to look good it makes me feel good. This is the creed of all my female elders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your WHY Mary. I can tell that sewing is near to your heart too.

      Delete
  6. Great reasons to create! I never get bored and there’s always something to do in the sewing world. I agreee, the sewing community is great and very helpful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LaQuana. I love being around great creatives like you!

      Delete
  7. I love your reasons Ms. Faye! Especially knowing that you create because your Father is the Creator! I feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss Vanessa! I think that's why it's soooo important to create!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your blogging about your passion for creating. I really look forward to reading your blog and seeing what you’ve made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelly and thank you for reading here too!

      Delete
  9. Well you know my reasons. ;) I forgot to mention the cheerleading aspect of the sewing community. You are such a wonderful cheerleader yourself! This is such a unique community, and perhaps we're all teachers at heart wanting to see each other learn and grow and celebrating each step along the way. I know were it not for Patternreview, I would not have learned nearly as quickly. It's amazing to be able to get stuck and unstuck nearly as quickly with the help of people who are so willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree with you more Elizabeth!!!

      Delete
  10. I am a returned to sewing sewist too :) I left sewing in my early 20's when my machine broke and I couldn't afford to buy a new one and my broken one wasn't what I had originally wanted to work on anyway! I returned to sewing when for my 60th birthday my husband suggested we get me "set up" with a sewing "sewing" corner - machines, tables - the whole business :) That was 3 years ago and I've been an avid sewist ever since :) I love to sew! It challenges, excites and amazes me. When I'm not able to get to my sewing for a day or 2 I miss it so much I feel almost depressed! I've started down the path of sewing all my own garments and have learned so much over the past few years about the craft and myself it would take volumes to write about it. I always enjoy reading your blog Faye! Your deep spirituality always shines through in your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen what a wonderful Husband you have to realize that you needed to get back to your sewing roots and then help you with your setup. I share your feelings about sewing. Isn't it marvelous to write about it. Thank you so much for reading my blog!!!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11/17/2017

    Dear Faye Lewis/Ever Learning Linda:
    Your creating and blogging about it is so much appreciated.
    You touch us in so many ways ... especially with the reminder of our deep-seated needs too that spring from eternal sources and those earthly manifestations we come through ...
    May God bless you and your family,
    Lynda from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda, I just have to talk about who motivates me sometimes. Thank you for reading here!!!

      Delete
  12. ...almost for the very same reasons as you, my dear “Ever Learning Linda” friend! If I couldn’t sew any longer, I can’t say what would happen to me!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...