November 22, 2017

#BLOGLIKECRAZY 22: IT'S ANNUAL COAT MAKING TIME!!!

...even when there is no actual sewing going on around these parts: there is still plenty of thinking about it, planning for it, and researching it.  Even now, when I am actually right in the middle of cleaning in preparation of tomorrow's company; my mind keeps drifting back to what I'd really rather be doing - sewing.  Even though there is still an unfinished sewing project in my sewing room that I am very close to completing (namely Vogue 9032 - Pants), my mind is fast forwarded to my next project.  Yes, it's time to start thinking about my annual winter coat project folks!

You've been on this COAT RIDE with me numerous times.  I do so hope that you plan on tagging along again as I work my way through this years model as well.  You know that step one of any sewing project is choosing fabric and a pattern. Well this is the fabric I've chosen


 a beautiful chocolate brown Faux Sherling or Sherpa
 I have never worked with this fabric before so I'll be stepping out my box with this.  I've collecting information about sewing the fabric from those I know who have used it before. These are some of the things I have learned so far.
  • No pressing, just use steam or finger pressing
  • I'll need to use a larger size or Jean Needle
  • Use a slightly longer stitch than usual
  • Use clips rather than pin
  • Use topstitching or home deck thread on top and regular thread for the bobbin
  • Keep a vaccumn cleaner handy to collect all the fluff that will be produced
Have you ever worked with this fabric before?  If so, any tips/techniques that you could provide in the comments would be greatly appreciated.

Now for my pattern pics:
 
I've been in amour with McCall's 6656 since it's release a few years back.  While I really like View B and plan to make it someday soon, I am thinking seriously about making View C this go round.  I do worry that the collar is to large however.      



Then, there's this pattern.  Kwik Sew 4197 that caught my eye a while ago, and it is still high up on my "Love" list with it's slightly asymerical front hemline.

The coats require about the same yardage, and I like the exposed seaming of both  This type of fabric lends itself to a kind of feminine Western look.  So I guess over the next couple of days I'll direct my thoughts towards choosing between these two patterns.  It's going to be a real toss up...


11 comments:

  1. I've not worked with shearling, but I see it often in finished coats on my frequent thrift store expeditions. It seems like a really cool fabric to work with! I'm interested to hear how your experience goes. It'll certainly be cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a coat of this nature, but both of these are very cute. It's a new to me fabric and with the right techniques and tips, I'm hoping it will be a simple make.

      Delete
  2. I love your fabric and pattern choice! This will be my first year following along with your annual coat making, and I look forward to seeing how you do! Does your machine handle the bulkiness of the fabric well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several older machines that I call heavy duty. I use them when handling really bulky fabric such as denim. Most of the coats that I make are tailored to some degree, but both of these seam to be just simple, straight seams. I am hoping that which ever I choose is easy construction.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fabric Faye! Whichever pattern you choose, it wii be a winner! (I love the Kwik Sew pattern). I’ve never worked with Sherling before and will be solooking forward to seeing your coat completed! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. I'm stepping out the box with this fabric, but that is one of the things that makes sewing so exciting. Now I'll be learning all about this new fabric.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to following this adventure. I've never worked with shearling but have a pattern chosen for "sometime". I have some Christmas sewing to do then I'll be working on a new coat, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to watching your coat making process as well Catherine.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be so me...so when you are finish you can ship it to Texas. Can't wait to see it, going to be a smash as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my choice Diane. Now I just need to pick the pattern.

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...