November 25, 2015

#BLOGLIKECRAZY DAY 25: A MONTH OF FIRSTS...



 ...if you've been kind enough to tag along with me during my 30 Day #BLOGLIKECRAZY Challenge, you've notice that I've done several "FIRSTS":  my first series of INTERVIEWS, and now, the first of several GUEST POSTS.  It's been an adventure doing some of the things I've wanted to do for a long, long time; and finally stepping out on FAITH to ASK blogging friends to assist me.

On that note, I want to say a great big "THANK YOU" to the ladies who took time from their busy schedules to help me.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart of hearts...

Sew Crafty Chemist - Nakisha Smith

Hello! I'm Nakisha and I blog over at sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com. I'm a 'self-taught' sewer who has become absolutely addicted to this craft since I got my first machine in January of 2013. I cannot believe it's been almost 3 years and I have enjoyed the journey immensely.

I almost exclusively sew garments for myself but can be persuaded to sew for my daughter. My absolute favorite items to sew are pants and jackets and I've started coming around to skirts and dresses. I have over 550 patterns in the stash and untold fabric yardage.  Some of my favorite patterns are Vogue 9032, McCall's 6886 and 6996, and Simplicity 2369. 

If you follow me on IG you know that I am almost always wearing something handmade. I sew a lot and have nearly 250 projects recorded on Pattern Review!  Whew! I also have three closets that are mine, all mine. My family doesn't know that that isn't normal. Shhhh. Don't tell them!!

I am really active in the sewing community mostly because - addicted!!! I have had so much fun participating in contests and challenges - 2nd place in the Fabric Mart challenge last year! 1st place for PRs fitted blouse contest last year! 2nd place in this year's Wardrobe contest on PR! And now a Top 50 blogger for BurdaStyle!  It really helps me stretch myself and go outside of my comfort zone. And really, I get a lot out of just participating. Any sort of a win is a bonus. 

For the next few months you can find me once per month or so on the Fabric Mart blog. In those posts, I will try to show any fitting and construction steps that I think may be interesting; vs just showing the finished garment. 

I am often asked if I do tutorials or anything on my blog. Unfortunately, I don't. I will try to help answer questions when I can but I am just not the teacher type! The technical aspect of sewing comes naturally to me and I have a tough time explaining things to others. I do have a list of tips that I tell newbies who want to get started sewing!

Here are my beginner tips:

*First, it's just fabric. Really. Try to not to let the wadders get to you because EVERYONE has them. Even the really accomplished sewers!

*Be confident.  Can you do this? OF COURSE! Will you do it perfectly the first time? Probably not. Is that ok? YES!!

*Read the pattern instructions BEFORE you start the project. You may need to research techniques and it'll be much simpler if you're prepared before you get stuck on something. YouTube is invaluable.

*Fit your tissue paper. It's quick and simple. Fit for Real People, while the photos are outdated, is easy to understand and covers many fitting issues!

*Be amazed by your iron! AMAZED!!!!! The pressing of a seam completely changes the look of the item. And please press your knits! 

*Use like-RTW items to help you! I have used many RTW garments to understand certain aspects of construction!

*Practice. I know. I know. But you'll be more confident when you tackle the real thing! This goes for everything from sewing straight seams to buttonholes to welt pockets!

*Lastly, recognize your own progress.

One thing I like to do is compare remakes of patterns. Butterick 5678 (now OOP) is one of my TNTs. When I began sewing, one of the things I wanted to make so badly was a buttonfront shirt. In 2013, just a couple months after learning to sew, I attempted the pattern. About a year later I sewed it again without the atrocious collar stitching :-p. This year, I sewed it again, feeling fully confident with my (expensive!) Italian cotton shirting. 

What you don't see in version 2 is that I have snaps inserted between the buttons at the bust because I had MAJOR gaping! :) 


Comparisons like this really boosts my confidence as I tackle more complicated garments! 

Thank you for allowing me to share a little bit about myself and my sewing journey with you! I hope you find the 'sewing life' to be as fascinating as I do!

12 comments:

  1. Great interview with Nakisha! You've come a longggg way in just under three years! Your self taught skill is something to be amazed in such a short time! You should be very, very proud of yourself! Thank you Ms. Faye for highlighting such a talented and lovely young woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Myra. I've admired Nakisha's skill and talent for quite some time also.

      Delete
  2. Great to know even more about you Nakisha, great post! Your tips to beginners are fabulous! If this is what you're doing 3 years after learning to sew, I can't wait to see what you'll accomplish 3 years from now. Much success in all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great interview. Thank you Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia! Nakisha's skill and talent is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for that great interview, Faye. Email me with your mailing address - you won the tailoring book at my blog. girlsinthegarden at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS AND THANKS Lori. MAN, DO I LOVE WINNING!

      Delete
  5. Great interview.. Nakisha just 3 years? You are one amazing sewist lady....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natasha, I have long enjoyed watching you grow in your skill and do admire how you cut through fabric one garment after the next. That is bold and encouraging all at the same time, even for a veteran like myself. Actually, you have given me to some degree the same type of freedom about cutting my fabrics. I enjoy every monthly post you share about your goals, and plans for sewing. Thanks for such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nakisha, sorry about the spelling of your name.

      Delete
  7. Thank you SO much Faye for allowing me to take part in your blog! And thank you everyone for being so kind!!!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...