November 5, 2015

DAY 5 #BLOGLIKE CRAZY - THIS LITTLE THING...

...I had forgotten all about this little thing until Vatsla Watkins of fashionbehindtheseams referred to it in a recent Periscope session.  When she  showed what she called "a handy sewing tool",  and I said - I use to have one of those little things!  I could remember using it once maybe twice, but really couldn't see much use in it.  Sometimes it's good to revisit things, even sewing tools that we've put aside to collect dust as I often do.

So I went on a mad hunt to find this little thing, and surprisingly it didn't take me very long it.  In fact I actually found 3 of them.

I've already found a really good use for it in measuring the distance from my sewing machine needle to the 5/8" point.  I'm never really been sure if the grid markings on my machine was the correct measurement and sure enough when measured it isn't.  Simple, yes I know.  But I'd tried measuring before using a regular 6" sewing gauge that wouldn't fit into the space on the sewing machine bed.  So every time I sewed it was really a eyeballing/guessing game.  From now on I'll keep it handy on my sewing table because I'm sure I'll find other uses for it.

What about you, do you have one or two or even three of these little things???

10 comments:

  1. Oh Ms. Faye… I've never seen this before! Hmmm...I wonder what I would use it for? I'll have to think on that one and thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucked in my drawer! I tend to use the traditional 6 inch gauge to measure everything, habit I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my measuring gauge. Perfect for checking that my folded hemline is even throughout, adding seam allowances, reducing front necklines, etc.. it's sew handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this little tool sitting right on top of my sewing table but never reach for it! I always use my regular sewing gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this, and a newer version too, from Clover. It's a little larger, and has even more measurements, like 3/8". I never realized I wasn't doing an actual 3/8" SA till I measured it with the tool!! I do use mine often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use this constantly! Its especially handy for tight places. Like you I have a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen these before, and each time, like now, I say to myself, I need one. I especially remember it when I'm marking seams or hems. and then I say...oops I should have bought that thingamajig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one. It definitely helps get the measurements. It's really cheap too

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL just like you, 2 silver and 1 blue one 😏 I use 'em all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one and I do love it. I use it all of the time.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...