November 25, 2009

DOING THE TWIST ON MOT #9

I keep forgetting what number top I'm on! But just found out that this is number 9. I made this top from Vouge 8323. I used the pattern once last year when I made a top in a deep chocolate jersey knit that feels soooo very good against my body. I was unsure of the pattern at the time, so I went with a size larger just to be sure. At first I thought this pattern was a little weird with the front and back panels and side panels. But it is a great tee pattern! The top wore wonderfully, but was just a tad big in the shoulder area. I think I have narrow shoulders. So this time I went down a size just in the shoulder/neckline area.

I'm a lover of knit tees as you can tell by now. So most of the tops I'm making for the Month of Tops sew-a-long are quite simple. Consequently, I felt that I needed to do SOMETHING different to add some punch or switch it up just a bit. I got the idea that I wanted to add a twist neckband on top #9. Now mind you, adding a twist neckband is not a real complex operation, but sometimes I let new things and ideas intimidate me so much...sometimes to the point that it freezes any amount of creativity, even the smallest amount. Such was the case with adding this twist band.

I was able to get directions from four different sources and have to give credit where credit is due: Sew News, Assorted Notions, Sew Intriguing, and Sigrid - Sewing Projects. What was I scared about? It wasn't hard at all - just something new. I am so pleased with the way it turned out that I hope I don't go hogg wild with it - but I will be doing it again...soon. The next time I will make the band wider like the one Sigrid used. My band is a little hard to detect because of the print that I used.

Marked up my table a little bit, but that's par for the course (he he).






On to #10...

10 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your tops; how I'd love to be as productive as you! Also, congratulations on your 200th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Pretty. This looks like a great Tee pattern. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That twisty band looks great and a nice touch. Good sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I've got a whole raft of tops like this planned for the weekend. I'll see how many I actually get sewn up! I might even be tempted to try this twist neck variation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute top! We must have started blogging around the same time because I'm at about 200 posts too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top is so very nice. Love the neckline.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun and stylish top, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one, too. What's scary about ruffles?

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...