I completed my second sewing project of the year last night. It's my first fleece project and the verdict is still out on whether I like sewing this material or not. Right now I'm thinking that I'm glad I didn't buy more of it. It has so much static, and ever available thread is attracted to it like a magnet and I got tired of that.
I was so attracted to a jacket that LISA made form this very same fabric that I wanted one too, so this is another copycat project. I did make a couple of changes so it wouldn't be exactly the same by adding a hood instead of the shawl collar, side seam pockets and covered buttons. I combined McCall's 5485 & McCall's 4975. I would have used just the M4975 pattern, but discovered that the pattern I had was way to big so I just adapted the pocket and the hood only from that pattern.
I know that lots of you have done covered buttons before, but I decided to do a little tutorial in case there's someone out there that is intimidated by them like I was because I wasn't sure I would be able to get the button properly covered so the raw edges of the fabric wouldn't show:
.The metal buttons come in a little kit, so you just pick the size you want and everything you need is in the kit - you just add the fabric. This kit contained two button backs and fronts as well as two plastic tools to press the buttons into place.
. There is a guide on the back of the package for cutting your fabric to fit the size button you've purchased.
. The fabric circle is then placed over the large plastic tool; followed by the button front. The fabric folds in perfectly to fit over the button front. Then the button back is put into position.
. The smaller plastic circle is used to press the button back into place after which the finished button is pushed out and that is all there is to it. No more covered button intimidation!