...Every year I start out with such grandiose sewing plans for summer, but never, ever seem to get around to making everything on my list. Now that the school year has started (last Friday, July 29th), it seems that summer has whispered bye bye. But, thankfully the start of the school year does not dictate the end of summer when one lives in Georgia. Tomorrow is August 1st, and the FALLEQUINOX doesn't officially happen until
September 22, 10:21 a.m. EDT. That means there are 53 more days of:
surprise summer thunder storms that God sends us to keep us from burning up,
AND SUMMER SEWING if I so choose.
Isn't it wonderful! Just enough time to play around with McCall's 6558 some more.
A bit more off shoulder love, revised as a tunic this time. I used a nice challis fabric (gifted from Ebony), joined the bodice and skirt pattern pieces, eliminated the elastic at waist, and lengthened the skirt. I love the print and drape of this fabric.
Who knows, another version of this pattern just might show up before summer's end...
...I had wanted a simple striped Tee Shirt Dress for quite some time, so when this pattern was introduced I rushed to purchase it. McCall's 6886 - every body and their mother has made this super simple Tee Shirt Dress.
Only four pattern pieces, created just for knits, neckline & sleeve
variations, and the feature that I like most - no bust darts. But what should have been the easiest project ever ended up taking me eleven months to complete.
So why did it take me so long? - the stripes! I usually don't have too much trouble getting stripes to match. I guess I was in too much of a hurry when I started this project in August 2015 so things just didn't go as planned. I tried to tell myself that the stripes not matching on the side seams didn't matter, but really I didn't have the heart or want to take the time to undo long serged side seams. After all as we know RTW stripes quite often don't match either. This week I asked Carol Ware for a serger removal tutorial and she complied via Periscope with a quick and easy method.
...the pattern companies lavished us with cute, retro looking boxy tops this summer. One that caught my eye right off the bat was Simplicity 8090. I made two of view C, one to wear inside and one for outside.
I need more summer pj's so I used a tiny printed cotton fabric that has been in my stash for eons to make a matching pair. For the pj shorts I used McCall's 6848 view E with the ruffled leg. I used a soft gray and white seersucker to make my outdoor version of the Simplicity top.
...it's been a while, but I'm currently working on pants again. The project is an UFO that I started and cut out last summer. I'm working on refining my TNT pants pattern AND also on developing a pants block that will hopefully assist me in using other pants patterns of my choice. (does that make sense?) The current pair was meant to be a wearable muslin, so I have new pants.
I used Burda 7062 which are close fitting, has waist facings and side zipper (moved the zipper to the back seam.)
My pants after a couple hours wear. I'm calling them Imperfectly perfect. I really like the fit and plan to make them again raising the crouch curve just a little next time. There are two additional UFO's living in my sewing room. How many reside in yours????
...yes, I said Fall ya'll. Although Georgia temperatures constantly soar up to 100 degree, it's nice and cool in my sewing room - Thank God! Makes you wonder why my post title references Fall. Well, I've had two light weight knit jackets on my make list since last fall that I just couldn't find the time to sew up. I decided that now would be an excellent time to tackle them so when they will be all ready for Fall. I'm trying to work smart for a change; here's the first of the two:
I made this simple pattern in a black pontederoma knit 3 or 4 years ago, and really didn't like it. Turns out that that black jacket ended up being the most worn garment I've ever made. When temperatures start to drop this is the jacket I usually reach for. Every time I wear it I find myself thinking, "I really need to make this jacket in another color", but just never got around to doing it. So I just went ahead and knocked it out ahead of time this weekend. I think I need a brown one as well but will probably use a different pattern.
I also managed to finish up another Simplicity 8128, this time for myself. I tell you I hate what a bust dart does to a stripped fabric. That being said I will wear this top even though stripe matching is impossible in the side seams due to the bust dart.
I have the entire week off, so happy sewing to me and to you. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Fourth of July...