I finally started working on one of the four (yes 4) linen jackets that I did have planned for summer sewing. Each will end up a with matching pants - or so the plan goes. I wanted each jacket to be almost effortless, but have the look of precise sewing skills handled with much care. I ask, is this an oxymoron?
I choose Butterick 4138 for Jacket #1 - Easy 8 pattern pieces
- After musling I found that I needed to increase the armscye because it was a little binding. That involving adjusting the jacket front, back and front and back facings. I also increased over all the width of the sleeve to achieve a slightly baggy feel.
- Added back fisheye darts for just a little bit of contour and fit.
- Added 2 1/2 inches to the sleeve length to facilitate a rolled cuff.
- Added twill tape to the shoulder area, and a back stay in addition to the pattern's back facing to add stability, and increase longevity of the jacket.
- The pattern is for an unlined jacket, but I will line this jacket for wearing ease.
Needless to say I spent the entire next day debating whether to rip it out and turn it around, or just leave it and hope no seamstress with discriminating eyes gets close enough to detect my error. I think we all know the verdict - I WILL rip and sew again. But first, I needed to let it sit a while... marinate, and then attack the job. I guess I should ... NEVER GET TOO HAPPY UNTIL THE PROJECT IS COMPLETED!!!