August 15, 2011

BOOK REVIEW BY REQUEST...

...I received a request to do a brief review of one of my new sewing books.   I've only had it a short time, but here are my immediate thoughts on the book:

  • I purchased this book mainly because I like the other two books of the set; just thought I'd complete the set of three.  Really, the book on Couture is good, but the one on Tailoring book is extreme (IMHO).  I had put off purchasing the book in question because I felt my other basic sewing references were more advanced, and after perusing it - I was correct.
  •  What I do like about the book is the little chapter on pattern adjustments and the chapter on the order of construction assembly.  The later would be great for a beginning sewist, or to use in teaching a beginner.
That's about it on first review.  I'm not downing the book at all, but I think it would be best suited as a beginning resource.  Just my opinion...

4 comments:

  1. That's good info. to know because I've been looking at these books for my collection. When you say the one book is extreme, what do you mean by that? Can you explain a little further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book too, and I bought it for the same reason – to complete the set! I like it a little more than you do, though. To me, it basic sewing the old fashioned way - without fusible interfacings and using techniques our grandmothers used. For that reason, I found it interesting and I'll probably try some of the techniques for curiosity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I have these books as well and sent back the Garment Construction book because it was really basic. I definitely agree with you. I loved the other 2.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...