My jacket is done, and that completes another suit that I actually started in January. This was the fabric I had to squeeze to make work. I used Lisa's pattern suggestion
and turns out the only thing I had to patch for lack of fabric was the sleeve ruffle. Instead of cutting one continuous cuff pattern piece, I cut two pieces from the fashion fabric. I used a french seam to sew the pieces together because the sleeve cuff is not lined - thus my patch. It turned out pretty nicely.
I also reduced the patterns amount of sleeve ease and the jacket sleeve has no puckering. I can't tell you how happy I am not having to fight with sleeve puckering.
My sewing progress was very slow this week intentionally. I slowly hand stitched the jacket, hem and sleeve lining to ensure that no pic marks occurred. I hate pic marks!
I saw a RTW jacket very similar to this one that I liked a lot so I really think I'll be making this pattern again.
I know that lots of blogger read Threads Magazine. I haven't missed an issue since discovering it in 2007. I love the magazine. My favorite sections of the magazine are: Closures because I enjoy the freelance story of the month. So many of the pieces are so familiar to me. and the back cover (Up Close) because I love devouring the detail work of the vintage pieces. When the Magazine arrives I immediately turn to these two sections and then I read the tips.
I swear I was just talking with Lisa about waistbands prior to reading Thread's tip on them in the latest issue. We discussed the exact same method. It amazed me...I just saying...