I only had two sewing goals for the weekend:
1) Hush up the Jalie top pattern by getting it made, and;
2) Make up Butterick 5456 for Autumn, the student who does all of my photographs.
I'm so happy to report that both goals were accomplished! I just need to find pants to wear with the top that I've named "Pretty Sweet", because it's definitely being worn to work tomorrow. The fabric used is a really soft and nice feeling Wal Mart find. It's left over from a dress that I made for my Mom for Mother's day.
JALIE REVIEW: As I said before, I've seen this pattern all around sewing blogland. Although I've never sewn a Jalie before, the popularity made me lust after the pattern (I'M SURE YOU'VE RECOGNIZED THAT I AM A PATTERN HOG!). A quick review of the pattern instructions left me feeling a little intimidated at first, but I also felt compelled to take the challenge. While making the top I was reminded of a Bisquick Impossible Pie - the ones in which the crust miraculously rises to the top. During the construction I remember thinking "it will be a miracle if this works"...and so it was, because it did indeed work out.
After attaching the back and fronts at the shoulder seam, the right side of the collar is attached to the wrong side of the top. The top is then rolled into the collar - jelly roll fashion, and then the collar is sewn together to form a tube (that actually contains the entire top - minus the sleeves). You leave a 1" opening in the tube and then proceed to pull the back and fronts of the top through. When that is accomplished the result is a concealed seam that connects the collar to the top. GENUS!!! All that's left to do is sew the center seam, attach the sleeves, hem top and sleeves - and it's finished.
I also need to mention that the sleeves went in with a glitch. No need to gather or ease stitch, it just fit wonderfully! So no need to remove any sleeve ease - which I've started doing with all of my sleeves because I can't stand a sleeve pucker.
The pattern has three views, and I do intend on making the sleeveless version very soon. I think that this is a wonderful pattern. So, if you've been thinking about making it, know that it is a breeze to put together. I've officially coined this a TNT pattern.
Here's a picture of Autumn's Butterick dress. She got her fabric from Hobby Lobby according to the yardage requirements that I gave her. Mind you, the yardage I quoted her did not include the amount needed to line the bodice - DUH! So I had to rummage through my scrap box and lucky found a piece of poly-knit to make up the difference to line her dress. I wanted to kick myself for that mistake. I was not into making a Hancock run this weekend. Believe I am seriously trying to stay out of that store - trying to visit only every other week. My budget needs a break!
Here's the key holed back of the dress:
This time I just topstitched the neckline, arm hole area, and the keyhole area. The last time I made this dress I understitched the entire thing per pattern instructions and it was quite a miserable experience. Although I enjoy the benefits of understitching, when the pattern instructions tell you to understitch as far as you can go, right then and there you know it's going to be a difficult procedure.
All I need to do now is bag up the dress and put it in the car today so I won't forget to take it to school.
So that wraps up the sewing week for me. I'll be working Monday and Tuesday nights and then I can get back to sewing at night again. Now I'm off to start preparing for Monday, hope everyone is having a wonderful Mother's Day!
...back in mid March - before I got deeply involved in planning the #2018TOPSTHATPOP Sew-a-long, I had started back in on pants fitting. Re...
...twas six days before Christmas, just one day after my birthday, and my 2017 Winter Coat Project is complete. Right now I'm calling h...
...Sewing information and tutorials that recently caught my eye: An interesting conversation about choosing the correct pattern size, from...