February 19, 2011

FAYE'S 4TH BLOG ANNIVERSARY - WHAT'S GOING ON IN MY SEWING ROOM...


....well I'm really still trying to get use to it, if you can believe that.  It's so pretty, but it's almost like I'm afraid to touch anything.  I don't want my paint to get smudged (lol).  But here's a review of what I've been up to lately:

Ebony and Keith gave me a "sewing room warming" gift certificate (wasn't that nice), and this is what I choose - a glass framed "L".  Ya'll did know that my first name is Linda - right?  I haven't hung it yet, but when I do, whenever I look at it I'll think of Ebony and Keith!


 I did some pattern organizing.  Yes, I do have an addiction, BUT I am not interested in any type of intervention as of yet.  However, some of the patterns did have to leave the sewing room area.  McCalls and Vouge are still housed in the room, but Simplicity, Butterick and New Look are now boxed up and will find a new home in the laundry room.  Not sure how this will work out.  I'm trying it on for fit right now, but I do have a plan "B" in case this thing keeps growing - build another room (ha ha).


I remade the Vogue 8305 wiggle knit dress.  I never could get rid of a wavy side seam problem in the maroon version that I made.

So after three attempts to fix the problem I had to ditch the project.  Yes, I was sad about it, but I've learned - "you have to know when to fold them" or quit, so it ended up in file 13.

Here's the new version made in a ponteroma gray knit.  Can't believe I'm saying this, but hopefully the weather will cool down enough next week so I can get at least one wearing out of it before having to pack it back until next fall.  And, yes I will remember to take a picture wearing it.



I cut out this pattern last night and want to get started on it then, but I'm finding out that after eating dinner I'm no longer fit to sew because sleepiness soon sets in - what a bummer.  I want to make two versions of this pattern.  If I can get off the computer maybe I can start them today.

I need to hem this choir robe this weekend.  It's for the para-pro that helps me out SO MUCH at school.  I'm a selfish seamstress as such, but you just have to say yes sometimes. 
My IT friend at school asked me to make her a pencil skirt after seeing me wear several of mine.  She fixes my computers when I'm in need so I felt I had to do it.  I just asked that she not tell anyone that that I did it.  But of course, the day she wore it to school there she was parading around the main office show it off and telling all the ladies there that I made it.  I thought I would faint!!!  I failed to get a picture of the skirt for my blog though.

MY 4TH YEAR BLOG ANNIVERSARY!!!
I am so guilty of writing long posts, but I have to announce that I celebrated the start of my 4th year of BLOGGING on February 10th.  So let's commence with the CELEBRATION!

Blogging is an important part of my sewing adventure.  It provides an unlimited learning resource, and is a vehicle for sharing or giving back to the environment that actually affords me so much entertainment.  So to celebrate the start of my fourth year I will be offering not 1 but 4 give-a-ways (yeah one for each year).  Starting today I'll announce a new give-a-way every Saturday, with the winner announced the following Saturday.

To enter:
  • be or become a follower of my blog;
  • mention why you are interested in the gift in a comment to this post;
  • mention the give-a-way on your blog (if you have one), and link back to this post.

WEEK ONE GIVE-A-WAY


I reviewed this book in this post.
This is one of the books I have in my car at the moment.  Why, you may ask?  I go out for a breath of fresh air everyday on my break.  While out fifteen, twenty or thirty minutes I need some reading material.  Said reading material is almost always a sewing resource book.  You'd be surprised at the tips you can pick up from this book.  So with notebook, pen, this book, and a little time I'm making use of every minute of my day.  Thought someone else might enjoy this read...

31 comments:

  1. Happy Blog-Anniversary dear Faye. I hope for many more years together ...!!!!

    Best,

    Paco

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, congrats on such a blog legacy!

    And secondly, you've found my next pattern for me. I have to stop making dresses - it's ridiculous. But this one is FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy blogiversary!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogoversary! Don't enter me in the give away...I already have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blog-anniversary. That's quite an accomplishment, going on four years. I haven't purchased this book yet; so if I won it, that would be awesome.

    Your wiggle dresses are to die for. They are so gorgeous. Do we get to see you wearing them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogiversary!!!!!! And I love the Grey wiggle dress. And that top you are going to make is cute. And I am jealous of your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the dress, the room and the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Faye, I don't want to be entered in your give away because I already have the book (the winner will be very happy because the book is fantastic) but I had to stop by to say congratulations on four wonderful blogging years. I also want to say how much I love your grey wiggle dress - stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogoversary and congrats on 4 years. the new dress is stunning, I hope it cools off for you, too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faye, Happy Aniversary! Four years! Good for you! Great for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy blogoversary...Wishing you many more...Love the dress and the color is so great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogiversary! Hope you are practicing your no's for all the women who are going to ask you to make them something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2/19/2011

    I've been reading for most of those years! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Faye! Please enter me for the drawing. I'd love the book to find helpful tips that I can use in my sewing. I've been following your blog for years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on 4 years of blogging. I have enjoyed reading it. I love your new gray dress! I hope you get to wear it once before packing away. You have been very busy with your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Four years is such an accomplishment! :)
    Great story about your friend's pencil skirt - don't be surprised if you get pestered by dozens of people now, who all want you to sew something for them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 4th! I'm so happy that you're still blogging and learning. Hope to see you at Expo next month.
    CarlaF-in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats and I hope you have many more years of sewing adventures. And yes enter me into the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2/20/2011

    Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Blogiversary Faye!!! and many more posts. I've heard so many good things about PR's book. Totally loving your wiggle dress and bummer that you had to trash the first one. In instances when I've had a wavy seam, I take it to the ironing board and with a cloth over it lightly iron it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on 4 years! And your sewing room is looking good; love the L - it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your grey wiggle dress! I want to make one myself! I too am a "selfish sewer" and therefore the reason I don't like telling anyone at work I sew. I just tell them no when they ask because if I sew for one, I'll have to sew for everyone who asks! So I don't blame you one bit!

    HAPPY 4th BLOGIVERSY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Anniversary! I thought it was funny that you're moving some of your patterns out of your sewing room. I can relate, I moved almost all of my fabric out of my sewing room and it has such a difference in my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogiversary - congratulations on 4 years !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Blogaversary, throw my name in the hat. Your sewing room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous2/21/2011

    A very Happy Bloaversary!! I enjoy reading your blog. I thought your vintage skirt was really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Blogiversary! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy 4th Year Anniversary to you ! I love your wiggle dresses !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your 4 year anniversary!!! I LOVE reading your blog and love your creations. I've had the patternreview book on my to-buy list for a while, but I have a gift card to the book store, so didn't want to get it online. But life happens and I haven't been to the store in ages. So yes, enter me in the contest and if I don't get it, I'll make sure to get my butt over there. I have a finished sewing project to post this week which actually uses a pattern I saw here, so will link back to your blog then.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Faye: Congrats on your anniversary!!! Please don't enter me in the give-away as I already have the book.

    Your dress is stunning and so is the sewing room. You have been one busy little bee. Looking Great!!! Talk later.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a great vintage piece, it looks awesome. Womens clothes are just so much better looking than mens clothes. I love the blog.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...