BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: After a heartfelt speech (no accusations), just a plea for help to me FIND my camera - it was returned to me at the end of my second class on Friday. Love is restored, and this just teaches me to be more careful in the future!!!
...Well, I finished my Fearless February project on Sunday evening. Although I so wanted to post pictures of it then, I waited until I wore it for the first time today. Now I wish I had taken pictures on the dressform - maybe I'd still have my little baby point and shoot camera! Yes, you see, my little Cannon Powershot all of a sudden GREW SOME LEGS and took a hike today. I'm about as mad as that lion in the picture looks right now - but must move on. So I'll be posting these cell phone shots of my finished project.
|My little infinity scarf from 2011 and the taupe mock neck sweater paired up nicely with my jacket. Thanks for the idea Cecil!|
|I'm trying hard to crack a smile although I'm steaming mad about my camera.|
|A student inspired pose|
Now for my little summary of the project:
- I keep saying - "IT TOOK ME A WHOLE MONTH TO FINISH THIS JACKET!". I started on January 19th (felt I needed a head start), and finished on February 16th. But the truth of the matter is, I rarely worked on it at all during the week, but rather spent entire weekends with this step by step tailoring endeavor.
- I LOVE THE JACKET!, and wish that I had made it a long time ago. Thanks to the Fearless February Challenge I finally decided to whip it right up (yeah right).
- It was a real labor of love. You know me, I do not like projects that take over a week to complete.
- I think it fits WONDERFULLY! It is so comfortable too - not too snug nor is it pulling anywhere. I had good driving range while wearing it (something I'm always concerned with). Who wants to drive in a straight jacket???
- I LOVE THE COLOR, and am glad I chose it rather than the rust, black or camel alternatives that I toyed with.
- I searched for buttons like a mad woman, but could not find any that I liked that were the correct size locally. I finally (at the last minute) had to break down and order the ones that Erica and Lori used on their jackets from Mood. But I'll tell you what, if I EVER for some reason decide to get rid of the jacket - I will be removing and storing the buttons in a very safe place.
- The sleeve construction (which was a scary area) went so very well - I am completely happy with them and will be hand basting all set in sleeves from now on.
- As for the collar/front facing/lining attachment method (the other scary area)- OMGoodness!, I've never liked it, and probably never will. If you sew one minute stitch past that DOT (you know what I'm talking about), the collar is a mess to turn.
- (Scary area #3), the button holes were not that bad at all. The fabric was so very thick that I chose a #16 denim needle that worked like a charm. The button placement (getting them aligned properly) was another story however. After removing and resewing three of them several times - I just let it go cause I needed to finish this thing up people!
- While finishing up I remember thinking "well this one pattern I can trash cause I won't be making it again". But on second thought, I've been toying with the idea of making it again but going strictly by the pattern instructions rather than incorporating any tailoring techniques just to see how long it would take to construct. Alas, this is one of those MAYBE ONE DAY thoughts.
Now just a few shout outs and I'll be done. Thanks to:
- Victoria for sponsoring a challenge that took me out of my comfort zone. (Though I'm about ready to get back to it for a while)
- Erica and Lori for making jackets that inspired me to make mine
- Ebony for the fabric
- My sister Pat and niece Brenda who helped me with initial fitting efforts
- Rochelle and Cecil who helped me tween with email pictures
- Everyone who comment and cheered me on, especially my Mama...
Sounds a bit like an Academy Awards acceptance speech!