February 2, 2014

WHEN IT'S FINISHED, I THINK I'LL CALL THIS COAT VERA...

...If you  recall, I've decided to heed my Mother's (aka SewBossy) request and make myself a full length winter coat.  Here's a recap of what went on in my sewing room this weekend as a result:

.  Joined the Fearless February Sewalong  .Pattern chosen Vogue 8548 (rated Very Easy - We'll see about that)  .Vera Wang 2008 Lavender Collection boucle fabric that's been in my stash 4 years   .Coat Vera made from the fabric

I also heed advice given from other sewist who commented on my last post about interfacing methods.  So last night I got busy block fusing the yardage.  This was a first for me so it was a bit scary and very tedious.  I only STEAMED myself twice in the process.

Needed a surface wider than my standard ironing board for this job, but I had to make do with what I had.
The fabric has been cut, and yes block fusing REALLY cut down on the fraying.  All pattern pieces have since been thread marked.
I'll have to back track and cut the lining later, but I'd say that I've gotten a pretty good start on the project.  Hopefully I can get this done in less than a month considering my work schedule, because I have lots more on my sewing list.  My Mom says "you choose these long, time consuming projects and then you cry about it.  But that's o.k., you can cry to me".  What a great Mother!  So let the crying begin...

4 comments:

  1. oh I know about tedious! lol! I'm learning how to line a jacket & I haven't calmed down yet lol! happy sewing days for you!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a full length coat; they just feel so elegant! I think you'll thank your mother in the end. ("Hi, Faye's Mom!")

    And I just went back through the last couple of posts which I missed. Glad you got to witness Georgia snow from home, but it is nice that the little kids there got to enjoy it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Block-fusing fussy fabrics is indeed tedious, but it's so worth it in the end! I hope to get started on my full-length winter wool coat this summer. As always, I'll be following your progress with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an excellent blog as well as its content.Visit Here

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...