December 18, 2016

BIRTHDAY SEWING...

...yes today was the day, and a very nice one I must say!  My birthday always signals the the start of Christmas Vacation so I spent the weekend working on my 2016Winter Coat Project.  It already seems like the coat taking forever - even though it really isn't.  Looking back at blog posts it's only been 10 days from muslin to now.  I am a slow but impatient sewist.  Is that an oxymoron?
 
Fabric prep, pattern tracing, layout and muslin
Interlining



Matching checks/plaids is easier said or done.  



I really had to fight with myself not to pad stitch the lapel and collar because this coat was designed for soft tailoring.

Finish Line List:

  1. Construct lining and attach to front facing
  2. Attach lining and front facing to coat
  3. Hem sleeves and coat bottom
  4. Make buttonhole and stitch on button 

Maybe, just maybe I'll be done before Christmas...

21 comments:

  1. Happy you enjoyed your Birthday! Looks like you're on your way to another fabulous coat Linda. Can't wait to see the finished product. Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Ms. Faye!!! Your birthday is one day before my eldest! daughter. Looking great on the jacket and its going to be another beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday as well!

      Delete
  3. The coat is looking great, Faye! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes on your Birthday Faye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Faye...enjoy it and your Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I made a wool winter coat last year, and it took 2 months. I'm not a fast sewer, and I am a perfectionist, which is a curse I wouldn't wish on anyone. There isn't any such thing as a "2 hour top" in my world. I have been trying to adapt using the "good enough" rule, but it is a struggle. Your coat is turning out very nice. Enjoy your Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. I know, I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself and I am always adding steps to the pattern instructions.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday. You got a lot done, and the plaid matching looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday,Faye! You are moving right along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a lovely day :)
    The coat looks like it's going to look amazing! I'd planned to make a coat this winter, but time has just not allowed it sadly!
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes Sian! I know about time not allowing different sewing projects. There are too many things on my list.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Faye; I'm sorry I missed it! It's also my second son's birthday, and the day before my daughter-in-law's birthday, so you know I was baking cakes like crazy. You're making great progress on your coat. I hope it gets done during your Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjie! Hope both your son and daughter-in law had wonderful birthdays too. I know your cakes were delish!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...