March 20, 2017

GINGER: STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN...

..."starting all over again is gonna be rough, so rough.  But we're gonna make it".

Who remembers that song?  Well, that's just the way I felt after the first fitting of my Ginger Jeans muslin #1.  Sheer determination here.  These were my observations:
  • Ginger Jeans sizing is very generous.  I chose the wrong size based on my hip measure.  I went down one size with muslin #2. 
  • I have a short front crouch measurement.  I adjusted accordingly on muslin #2.
  • The back leg of muslin contains too much fabric.
  • Jean construction is not hard; it's getting the right fit that can be considered "ROCKET SCIENCE".
Pictures?  No, not of muslin #1, but I will post pictures of muslin #2 when I get to that point.  I salvaged certain parts of the first pair (the zipper, back pockets that were cut but not used, the waistband) that I can reuse on the second pair so all is not loss.  Today is the first day of spring and there are so many items on my sewing list to get to.  Jeans (and pants in general for that point ) are a hurdle that I need to conquer at some point. What better time than now...

14 comments:

  1. I admire your determination and glad that you are trying again with Muslin #2. Well, that is what muslins are for...you test the garment to find out what the problems are so you can fix them before you cut into your "real" fabric. I discovered I had excess fabric in the back thigh as well. I have very thin thighs so I always have excess fabric there but maybe in this case there was "extras excess." I took in the thigh area quite a bit on mine. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so encouraging Tomasa. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yes I agree 100%! There is no time like the present to conquer that hurdle! I know you have it in you too Ms. Faye! I am in your corner and at your disposal too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to hang in there! You are learning a lot about your body, and it will pay off in the end. Fitting jeans is tough, but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on truckin' --- you will get there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'll do just that.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes Ms. Faye, after frustration its better starting fresh with a new focus. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your attitude in making jeans! I think I'll get back to sewing this summer, after all of the excitement with the wedding and the 2 grandbabies coming within a week of each other subsides. I won't be sewing jeans, however, but am interested in your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm going to have to see this through Marjie. Did you mean 2 grandbabies coming to visit or 2 grandbabies being born? Either way you will be super busy in a good way!

      Delete
  7. Keep at it! I know you will tame these jeans and make them your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Clio. Even though I'm making jeans, I'm learning a lot about making pants in general. This has been trying at times but I feel it will be well worth it.

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...