May 25, 2017

I WANT IT ALL...

...It's all fun and games until - you get involved with pants fitting.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you already know that at least once a year I jump back in the pants fitting saddle again.  Yes, I have made pants in the past that I think fit me pretty darned good.  Having said that, you may ask "what's the problem then?).  My answer: I think I still have to do absolutely too much tweaking to get a good fit!

I do not want to make more than one muslin for a pants project; and I don't want to have to try the pants on 10 or 12 times during construction to tweak fit.  Am I asking for too much???

So I'm back in the pants fitting saddle again.  I've decided to dedicate some concentrated time to this pants fitting venture.  And I've also decided that I want to use numerous patterns for pants (wide leg, tapered, boot cut, trousers, flares and cigarette pants, not just one TNT pattern.  I want it all!
Here's an oxymoron for you though, I will still work on refining my old TNT pattern. For starters, I've deconstructed an older pair of self made pants (just was not crazy about the color) to use as my block/sloper.  I will report on my progress along the way...


22 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! Using your old jeans as a sloper should prove helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how it all works out Vanessa.

      Delete
  2. Good luck - I hope they work out for you! I had problems with pants, then kind of cheated and took a class with a Palmer Pletsch teacher who fitted a pattern to my body. What a difference. I now use that altered pattern as the basis for all my pants and it helps tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twotoast I don't call taking that class cheating. I CALL IT A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY! So glad you have your pants block all worked out!

      Delete
  3. It's a brilliant plan to take apart a good-fitting pair of pants to make a new pattern, I've done that before too, and got a great new pair. Plus, your sturdy fabric "pattern pieces" are tougher than paper, you can just roll 'em up and that's your pattern, ready for the next pair, and the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm after Carolyn!

      Delete
  4. Ohh, you are doing the pants thing again, as well. Good luck Faye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pants again Sarah. Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  5. You are off to a great start by deconstructing a pair of pants that fits well. Wanting different styles of pants is a wonderful idea. I will be following your progress closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting about my progress Alethia!

      Delete
  6. Will stay tuned. My favorite method for getting as closre to a great fit is using a rtw garment that fits good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have talked to me about this before Sheila. I finally deconstructed!

      Delete
  7. I have total confidence that YOU CAN DO THIS! Do keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one Linda to another I need this vote of confidence!

      Delete
  8. I have no doubt you can achieve this. At least you have a good starting point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I need Catherine - positive reinforcement!

      Delete
  9. I laughed reading your post remembering how enthused I was the first time I ventured into making my own pants - it wasn't a total success I'm sad to say but I've been thinking of tackling this task once again too. I don't know why it should be so difficult but it is - getting that fit comfortable, flattering and made with the RIGHT fabric is truly an adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Kathleen. Fitting pants patterns is a JOB. I wish you well on your venture also!

      Delete
  10. You're really ambitious Faye! RTW pants have never ever fit me properly (I am flat in back and somehow manage to have back waist gap issues!), so once I got that first TNT, I'm really pretty good forever minus adding and taking off little design details. Good luck in your ventures. I think the flares will be really a great style on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I need your well wishes.

      Delete
  11. Good luck, Faye! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I tried to fit B5222 years ago and made three muslins before I decided to start over...which I still haven't done. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Ebi! You ought to pull B5222 back out and join me on this.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...