November 25, 2016

BLOGLIKECRAZY 2016 DAY 25: #Faye'sSewingLife (THIS YEAR I THINK I WANT A BOYFRIEND)...

...a BOYFRIEND styled coat that is! I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date -  My Annual Coat Making Process.  Last year I started my coat in late September.  My Mother has brought this to my attention several times now, but for some reason I couldn't get started.   OK, it's finally coat making time - so let the fun begin!

I'll begin by first gathering my cheerleaders - you know who you are out there, and I want to thank you in advance for your support!  I've become quite an avid coat pattern collector, so I'm trying to choose the 2016 COAT PATTERN OF THE YEAR.   I'm envisioning something slightly boxy, a bit oversized, mid-calf or knee length, collar of some type, with pockets of course - some refer to this style as the BOYFRIEND COAT.
 Here are the contenders...
RIGHT:  Vogue 1479, Vogue 9133  LEFT:  Vogue 8960, Silvia Coatigan by Schnittchen
I'm leaning heavily towards Vogue 9133 because it's a lot like ones I've seen in stores.

I'm pretty sure I have all the supplies I'll need in the coat making arsenal already: muslin, fusible interfacing, horse hair interfacing (if needed), various cotton fabrics for stays, twill tape, tailoring/coat making reference books, thread, buttons, FASHION FABRIC (which we'll talk about next time), I'm not sure if I have an adequate lining material though.  Did I leave anything out???

27 comments:

  1. Hi Faye, if you make V9133 do check the armscye - I found it firm, but then I cut a smaller size than normal so it may have felt odd on me. Nice selection, and looking forward to seeing what you pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely heed your warning Sarah. I will be making a muslin first if I decide on that pattern.

      Delete
  2. I'm "in process" with the Vogue 9133, so I'm very interested to see what you decide to do. Happy sewing! (or should that be happy tailoring?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jury is still out on the pattern decision Irene. It is so hard to choose. I wanted a non-complicated coat with as little tailoring as possible in order to speed up the process as there are also several jackets I would like to make this season. I will be watching for your coat too.

      Delete
  3. I think I like V9133, especially the the collar on view A. I so look forward to seeing your new "boyfriend"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need him to make an appearance real soon. I'll let you know when the decision is made.

      Delete
  4. Top left definitely has my vote - that collar is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattern choice is always a chore Siobhan - caused by the fact that I have too many of them. I am definitely researching all 4 and hopefully I will be able to make a good choice very soon.

      Delete
  5. Vogue 9133 - view A....collar is very interesting and a bit different and in-seam pockets leave the front free for any interesting print fabric. Can't wait to see your choice and the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you especially since I thinking about using a small scale plaid for the coat.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see your choice. This year I'm going to parallel play, too. You've inspired me that I can do this with all your wonderful makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to hurry up and make my choice Catherine. And I'm confident that you can do ANYTHING that you set your mind to do!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11/25/2016

    I love the boxy boyfriend look to and will be using Vogue 8960 for more version. Can't wait to see yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see yours too Linda. I will be looking in!

      Delete
  8. I like the 2 top ones the best. I look forward to seeing which one you choose to make. Whichever one you choose, I know it will end up being a beautiful coat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the coats.. Cant wait to see what you make.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy I wish I could make up my mind TODAY - That's the hard part!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11/27/2016

    Let's get this show on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need you here prodding me!!! Help, it's almost Christmas and I haven't even started yet!

      Delete
  12. You've probably made your decision by now, but I like top left too. I'm in the same boat with you. I have a coat pattern I had planned on sewing before the cold arrived, but I still haven't started, and it's already chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather in Georgia is so iffy! One morning it's 35 degrees and two days later it's a 65 degree morning. Bottom line is that I'm late and still haven't gotten started. HELP!

      Delete
  13. I've just finished Vogue 1479, so I will post the review on my blog. I didn't know what to call the style in English...BOYFRIEND styled coat! Thank you for these information. I am looking forward to yours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eli that's what (I) call this style. I'm not sure if that is the official name for this style coat. I always "name" things including garments. Can't wait to see your Vogue 1479!!!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...