January 11, 2017

GO CHANEL, OR GO HOME...

...my friend Smoking Needles is currently making what I am sure will be a beautiful Chanelish quilted jacket.  Talking to her tonight brought back memories of the time I made my own Chanelish jacket.  It was back in 2009,  when some how I got up the nerve to join the "Go Chanel or Go Home" jacket challenge.  Plans to make this type of jacket had actually begun a year before when my mother gifted me a beautiful boucle fabric that she said had been in her attic for quite some time.  It was perfect for a quilted jacket - it had pink in the print - PERFECT!  But then I chickened out until the jacket challenge came about one year later.

This jacket created a whole lot of first's for me:
  • first two piece sleeve
  • first time working with boucle fabric
  • first time quilting a lining
  • first time working with trim
  • first time making my own bias tape
It was seven years ago that this project stretched my sewing skills further than I had ever dreamed! 
I still can't believe I matched the stripes so well!
 
I went back to review the process and found that it took me 22 days to complete.  At which time I was working full time and taking classes at night towards my degree.  Where did all that energy go???

18 comments:

  1. I love this jacket. I have yet to make a Chanel or Chanel-like jacket, but they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia! I want to make another one - just don't know when.

      Delete
  2. 22 DAYS??? Wowza. That's a killer jacket; I hope you've worn it and worn it since then!

    I still haven't attempted a Chanel-ish jacket w/a quilted lining...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I want to make another one.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You did a great job! This jacket is amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that sew-along and I followed your progress. Wow! Where did time go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwwww time just flies on by!

      Delete
  5. Just goes to prove the old saying, "give it to a busy person to get it done." Or something like that! :) Your jacket is amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful jacket! I am still dreaming of making a Chanel jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got to make that dream come true Regina!

      Delete
  7. It is so timeless, as beautiful and current today as it was then. A Chanel jacket is definitely on my to do list for 'some day.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this jacket! Can we see the inside? I hope to make one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I'll add a picture of the insides in my next post.

      Delete
  9. This jacket is so beautiful and timeless,Faye!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...