October 26, 2012

CARNIVAL OF SKIRTS SEW-A-LONG COUNT DOWN...

ONLY SIX MORE DAYS LEFT
SEW-A-LONG ENDS WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 31ST
``````````````````````````````````````````````````

 ...I so wanted to get a post written up this week - but wanted to have my first Carnival of Skirts Sewalong projected completed before I did.  I just couldn't make it happen.  First of all, remember my "ADDICTED TO LOVE SKIRT" (so named by MARY).


 Well I'm sorry to report that after making a (what I thought) workable muslin of the front of the skirt I decided to cut my fashion fabrics - 3 pieces of different colors to be exact -  but the skirt just did not work out.  Guess I was rushing the process.  My self-drafted result was a skirt that was WAY TO LARGE.  Uggggg!!!  Taking it in distorted my color blocking something terrible, and to say the least really upset me.  So, I decided to put that thing aside and come back to it on yet another day when my mind and body were well rested.  Oh yes, it will be made - I'll work on it again this weekend.  Hopefully I'll be able to salvage some of the fabric from the failed attempt.

Not to waste too much time lamenting over a wadder I really needed to keep it moving and get a skirt completed for the Carnival Sew-a-long.  So up into the stash I went and found a 4 1/2 yard plaid woolen piece that I thought I could live with.   The fabric had a WalMart tag on it and I know it's been stashed for at least 4 years.   Of course I used my lovely TNT McCall's 3830 - can't tell you how many times I've used this pattern - it works so well for me.  A plain and simple go-to pencil skirt.

McCall's 3830
Without a doubt I think this is one of the most used skirt patterns in the entire sewing world.  Four pieces, to which I add my usual kick pleat vent in the back seam.

Now to choose fabric and a pattern for my second sew-a-long project...

9 comments:

  1. Just know it happens to the best of us. I am sure you will make it happen and I will patiently wait. The good part is you did make a cute skirt and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute skirt! I'm sure by the end of the weekend u'll.figure out how to.perfect your addicted to love skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice plaid. This pattern always looks good on you. Good luck getting the colorblock skirt to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A TNT pattern always works miracles for my sewing mojo too! I'm sure that this skirt will work perfectly in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad about your Addicted to Love-skirt (LOVE that name, so fitting!). I hope you get back to it and it works out better. The plaid skirt is very pretty in its own right; I used to wear plaid skirts all the time and really need to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *love* that name too-the Addicted to Love skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save Faye! I know and have faith that you will successfully complete that color block skirt too! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing sweeter than consoling yourself with a TNT. OHHHH1 the magical powers of a TNT pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry the "Addicted to Love" skirt didn't work on this try.
    The TNT is fantastic and a great wardrobe addition.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...