After one failed attempt (posted here) I attacked the project again early Saturday morning. I started all over from scratch. I had to re-draft the front of the pattern and cut it up for color blocking. I picked the first skirt apart in an effort to salvage as much of the original fabric as possible. I salvaged the entire back of the skirt, and one big block of gray from the front. I re-cut the back to a smaller size (zipper had already been installed). After a full day's labor of love my skirt is finished, and I am so happy with it. Here are some pictures of my process.
Here is an un-adorned picture of my second Carnival of Skirts Sew-a-long project. I've ordered a red twinset and black booties to complete the inspiration look so I will be taking more pictures wearing it later.