November 19, 2018

#BLC 2018 - Day 19: Let Them Eat Cake!!!

...maybe you've seen me post about my sewist friend Marjie who lives in Pennsylvania.  We met in sewing blogsphere and have interacted throughout the years.  She been a participant in many of my Top's Sew-A-Longs  and I've read her blog MODERN DAY OZZIE AND HARRIETT for years.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite times of the year to peek in on her and her marvelous family and all their festivities.

A Sewing Gourmet like myself, Marjie wrote a post for me during my 2016 BlogLikeCrazy that detailed her magnificent Thanksgiving that year.  In case you missed it you can read it here.    Marjie took time from her busy schedule again to help me with this years 30 day blogging challenge.  I asked her to share one of her favorite holiday cake recipes with me; and she shared not one, but two of her delicacies - one chosen by her boys and one chosen by her girls (9 in all).


 "2 Color Cake":  Selected by the Boys

1 box yellow cake mix, divided in half
2 boxes of jello, regular or sugar free, different colors
3/4 cup water, divided in half
1 stick of butter, softened, and divided in half
2 eggs

Beat together half of the cake mix, 1 box of jello, 6 tablespoons of water, 1 egg and 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) of softened butter.  Beat slowly until combined, then at medium speed for 2 minutes, until the batter is smooth and creamy.  Pour into one greased 8" round layer cake pan.  Repeat with the other half of the ingredients, and pour into a second pan.  Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Note: the tops of these layers will be flat or even a little sunken.  That's OK.  Let the layers cool, then assemble using whipped cream between the layers and as frosting.  Refrigerate until it's ready to be served.

I usually use orange and yellow or orange and red jello for the layers at Thanksgiving, and then always red and green for Christmas.  The colors don't look to vivid when you look at the layers, but when you cut it, it's just a burst of color!

      AND

 Lemon Sponge Cake:  Selected by the Girls

4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1-1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder.

Beat the egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until they're stiff, and set aside.  Beat the egg yolks until they're light yellow, then beat in the remaining sugar, water and lemon juice.  When it's smooth, add the flour, salt, lemon extract and baking powder; beat another minute until smooth.  Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.  Scoop the batter into a greased bundt or angel food pan, then bake at 325F for 30 to 40 minutes.  Let it cool, then sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top of the cake.

This is really light and fluffy, which is why I love it.  Also, with this recipe, since you have baking powder, you don't have to worry as much about the egg whites falling and thus the cake not rising.


No one should be without the proper deserts for the holiday seasons - so I say, let them eat cake - Compliments of Marjie McDonald...

14 comments:

  1. Faye, you're the best! I hope you can try one or both of these, and I appreciate your blog love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the "2 Color Cake" will show up in my kitchen at least by Christmas. Marjie thanking you for showing my blog some love once again!

      Delete
  2. It sound delicious and I bet ya is beautiful, once the cake is cut and you are see the beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does sound delicious and reminds me of a colorful cake my paternal Grandmother use to make.

      Delete
  3. They both sound good (but that Lemon Sponge Cake...yum!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the picture and thought, "that looks like Marjie from sew camp." So great to see her and the recipes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's our friend Marjie, isn't she marvelous!

      Delete
  5. I want to try that lemon sponge cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! Let me know how it comes out!

      Delete
  6. Oh my sewing inspiration and desserts too...what more could a lady ask for! Ms. Faye you rock and Marjie, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...