November 8, 2018

#BLC 2018 - Day 8: Off The Shelf...

...although I will NEVER have every book that I want (because someone is always busy writing the next great one); I have managed to amass quite the Sewing Resource Library.  I thought I'd pull a few of my books OFF THE SHELF this month to not only show them some love, but also make note of some good information and maybe learn a trick or to.

If you asked me to name of my favorite sewing book author, I guess I would have to say Claire Shaeffer based on the number of her books that I own.  Now you know that if I'd not liked and found her books beneficial from the very first one I purchased, there never would have been a second, or third, or fourth, etc., etc.
 My Claire Shaeffer Library
I also have a Claire Shaeffer "wish list".  I can't help it folks; I get my love of books from my Mama!

When I read somewhere that she was born and raised in Georgia it helped me like her even more! 😊 I enjoy Claire's writing style, pictures, and technical drawings.  I find Shaeffer quite the Chanel/couture sewing aficionado.  A fashion historian of sorts, who knows the inside construction of the timeless Chanel jacket that we all love so much like no one else's business.

May I peek inside your sewing library?  What's your favorite sewing book; or who is your favorite sewing book author???



13 comments:

  1. I so love Sandra Betzina--I've learned so much from her! David Page Coffin's books are also so helpful. At the moment I'm reading Laura Volpintesta's book about Fashion, and it is beyond inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your favs Elizabeth. I'll have th check out Laura's book and I just love Sandra Betzina too.

      Delete
  2. Nice collection of sewing related books. I have a few of Claire S books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like her books. I'm going to make it a point to pick them up and at least review then again.

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful collection! I can't say I have a favorite, though I do love a good sewing resource that is loaded with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of really old ones, including one by Vogue. I went to that to learn to make lapped zippers and to install invisible zippers. But I'd love to dig into yours; they all look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful when you go to a book to learn a technique and it's really clear and actually helps you learn. It's a wonderful thing!

      Delete
  5. I also own most of Claire's books, including one less know about industrial sewing techniwues. I think I'm only missing her Chanel trims book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Tany, I think the trims book is a must have too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am in constant learning mode but I rather like the sewing beginner books from authors such as Wendy Ward and Wendy Mullin (I guess I like the name Wendy too!!). I also like the humor and writing style of Barbara Emodi and my favorite tailoring classic is by the late Adele Margolis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Ms. Faye! And you do have an very nice library of resources! (And thank you for gifting me one of them!) However, I don’t read through them as much as I probably should, I just use them for reference when I need help or to learn something specific. My library is small and mostly comprised of draping and pattern making books, but I do love them! (Including the one you gave me!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite sewing book is "The Perfect Apron" by Robert Merritt. It is my apron-making bible. I am falling in love with books by Natalie Chanin from the Alabama Chanin Studio and School of Making.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...