April 19, 2012

I HATE IT WHEN I STRESS OVER PATTERNS...

...when I first saw this top on Pinterest I had to have it!
 After putting out an APB blog post for help, several readers suggested Butterick 5495 as a reasonable similarity.  I went on a wild pattern stash search only to find I didn't have it.  Can we say disappointment?  I was even more disappointed when it wasn't to be found in local stores either -  I hate stressing over patterns.  So of course I had to break down and order via Club BMV.  I didn't get a chance to make this top during the top challenge - but did get it finished today.


Here's my version.  I love the print, but the knit was a bit flimsy to work with.  I think I'll have to make this one more time from a different quality fabric as I don't think this choice tells the whole story.


Now there's another Pinterest obsession top.
This will be my first color blocking attempt if I can figure out just the right slightly oversized top pattern.  I already purchased the fabric - peachskin in black and in white.  Can anybody offer a pattern suggestion???

13 comments:

  1. Both tops essentially were in the April issue of Burda..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try: New Look 6025 http://www.simplicity.com/p-5863-misses-tunic-or-tops.aspx
    McCalls 6566 http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6566-products-22757.php?page_id=481

    :) Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great and I bet is very figure flattering, Faye.

    That color block top is yummy. I really like the slight "oversize."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks alot like the Louise Cutting "Pure and Simple Shell." Good luck finding the perfect pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that Butterick pattern, and haven't broken it out yet. I might have to, now! I love that color block shirt. There is a Hot Patterns t-shirt pattern, but for a knit, that I look at every time I am on the site. And then I don't buy it because I think the oversize shirt won't flatter my body shape. But, I still look at it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fay, I think Simplicity 2615 would be a good pattern for the color block top. Just lower the neckline, leave off the slit and belt. Maybe shorten the sleeves. I just cut out the dress this week and will probably get it sewn today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is that you're doing wonderfully at knocking off those tops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The HotPatterns Relaxed Tee is similar. I made it and I liked it a lot. You must, however, have a very very drapey knit for the pattern to turn out well. Mine was a silk jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the print. Hope u can still wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean. It's always a pain to find the perfect pattern. I love your end result. The fabric is very pretty. Can't wait to see your color blocked top:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job! Your top looks great. I love color blocking and know your next top will be equally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a great job and I love the results Faye! Looks like you may already have enough suggestions, if you don't find one you like, let me know. Good luck and can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The top came out great and you did a great job of copying the inspiration top. You received helpful pattern suggestions for your next top and looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...