April 3, 2012

STARTING AT THE TOP - DAY THREE FOR ME...

...It would be a travesty if I allowed one more day of this challenge to pass without a finished project.  Maybe I'll be able to get a third top prepped and cut out this evening.  

Top one - my camp shirt:  plain and simple - but that's just the way I like it sometimes, plain and simple.
MCCALL'S 5052
Really, the only problem with this project was my fabric choice.  It was not suited for this shirt - or any other shirt for that matter.  Don't ask about the fabric content, I liked it and  bought it so fast that I forgot to look.   I think the shirt will stick to me something awful as I'm sweating (like a lady mind you) in this beyond hot Georgia heat.

Top Two:  Of course I did a switch-a-roo from my original plan in making this top.  This is Vogue 8797, view A.

I chickened out on the color blocking idea but instead added pocket flaps.  I give you three different views.


I kept wondering if it looked like a man's shirt.  Mmmmm, I still plan on wearing it.  I'm convinced that some narrow legged white pants and cute sandals will help me pull off my imagined look. We'll see...  Now I think it's time to work with some knits.

7 comments:

  1. Super start.The white shirt is classic and will look fantastic with any accessories,plus you can dress it up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the fabric in the first shirt. The colours and print are really lovely. As soon as I saw the second shirt (and before I read how you planned to style it) I could see you in a nice pair of slim fit white jeans and a pair of flat sandals with perhaps some jewels or ruffles on the vamp. I'd even consider turning the collar up in the back for that 50's look. I haven't received an invire for Starting at the top yet - would you mind resending? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are off with a bang! Wish I could join but I have no sewing time right now, boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the fabric. It's pretty. I need to follow your lead and make a few shirt too. Nicely made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the way you plan to style this will look great.

    As my Southern Momma used to say, "Ladies don't sweat. They perspire." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both terrific tops. I like the "mans" type shirt. You could put a belt on it and it would be very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Chickening out" - don't you hate when that happens? Then I spend time wondering what the project would have looked like had I not chickened out...for me, it's a vicious cycle. I like both of these tops. I don't think the second one looks like a man's top at all, even if it did...I'd wear it. What a great challenge by the way.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...